A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

protecting my 70%

  • shar10
  • shar10's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Jan 08 #11970 by shar10
Topic started by shar10
Hi all. Im hoping someone will be able to answer this. My husband divorced me last year and it has been agreed a 70/30 split and i am to either hi3 30% or sell nxt yr.
My question is, what if i move my new partner into the former matrimonial home, he lives with me for 2 yr and fires off. Does this mean he could claim half of my 70%?.
If so how do i go about protecting myself, my solicitor is aware im planning to cohabit and has not made comment on this or adviced against it.
Thanks in advance.

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Jan 08 #11975 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
I have read somehwere he might be entitiled to 110%

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 08 #11976 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

Ignore Josh's comment....he usually knows his stuff but I think is mis-understanding your question
(wot r u smokin today Josh!! :))

The simple rule Shar is......just do not marry him.

If he moves in as your 'boyfriend' for a couple of years ....then leaves...he is generally not entitled to anything.

Also don't put the house or mortgage in his name.

You will probably expect him to contribute to bills etc...but keep everything in your name.

Do keep an eye out for news of any changes in law surrounding co-habiting couples...there are moves afoot to give co-habiting couples similar rights to married couples.

But for now your 70% is safe - if u heed my advice.

  • shar10
  • shar10's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Jan 08 #11981 by shar10
Reply from shar10
omg n he been talkin marriage in nxt couple of years, it sounds scary. Its hard to be fully committed when you been through it once, just so scared of losing what ive got left.

New partner will be contributing to bills etc but will not be having his name put on my mortgage, even though he is paying my half at moment as i dont graduate till july. My half is only 140 pm and hubby pays other half, so to me, my new partner couldnt live somewhere for that and it shouldnt make a difference whether i pay that 140 to food or mortgage as its all cash and ex hubby pays it.
Im just worried because there is alot of equity in my home and a part of me thinks im a target n vulverable to money grabbers

dear me, i sound so selfish.

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Jan 08 #11992 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008

Sorry just realised my mistake have corrected it LOL :laugh:

Shar10 Don't believe everything posted :laugh:

and don't think you are being selfish, once bitten and all that, take downbutnotout's wise advice, don't marry him/her

P.S. What's the FMH worth and when can I move in :laugh:

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Jan 08 #12001 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Very funny, Josh. :laugh:

Posting has the advantage over private messaging in that some smart a**e usually comes along and corrects you! :P

shar10, be wary if your settlement was agreed on the basis you weren't co-habiting and/or the agreement isn't yet legally binding because co-habiting could affect the terms.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.