A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • rainy
  • rainy's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
03 Mar 08 #15610 by rainy
Topic started by rainy

I really need some urgent help - I am about to leave my husband and son(19 yrs old). I'm not sure where I stand financially if I walk out? I've been married for nearly 28 years, we have three properties and only one of them has a mortgage. My husband owns his own business and we have separate saving accounts. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to support my son if he is 19 years old and at university?

2. Do I get 50/50 of everything?

3. Should I take note of all my husbands saving accounts before I leave?

3. Whats the difference between being "separated" and "legally separated"?

4. What documents do I need to take with me?

5. I have always worked since the age of 16 and only took time off to have my son? Will this make a difference to my financial position?

6. Once I leave my home can I return to collect my belongings?

7. Should I seek a solicitor before I leave?

Your help would be really appreciated as I'm so stressed and confused as I don't know where to start.
Thank you.

  • BVG
  • BVG's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
03 Mar 08 #15617 by BVG
Reply from BVG
Hi Rainy,
I such a shame when a long marriage fails, I am just that myself after 33 yrs. So lets try and cold and clinical about your questions. I will answer in a certain order not as you set out.

2) After such a long marriage 50/50 is 99% always the case

3) Any evidence a this juncture that you can gather will be a big help. Council tax, mortgage, etc the list will quite long.

4) Take all your personal documents whatever they maybe, related or unrelated to your divorce with you.

5) The financial postion of both of you will be takent into consideration and will note effect the 50/50 split of the assets

6) Yes you legally entitled to return to the marital home and collect anything that is agreed to be yours

7) Try and get a free initial meeting, usually about 30 mins, with a sol. Make a comprehensive list of questions to maximise time.

1) Support for your son will be taken into account if his in FTE.

3) Iwill leave that to the more knowledgable.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.... Try and keep your XTB informed, keep the communication channels open, try and remain calm, cool and focused. Keep your son in the loop.

You will find a lot of friends and good advice on this forum

  • rainy
  • rainy's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
03 Mar 08 #15644 by rainy
Reply from rainy
Thank you for your quick response - your points have been taken aboard. Thanks a million.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.