A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Today''s curve balls

  • Canuck425
  • Canuck425's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Apr 12 #323395 by Canuck425
Reply from Canuck425
Well Sam, I am sorry to say this is pretty predictable. She''s scared and confused. She''s used to you bailing her out and being there for her. I like the advice of taking a holiday. Even if you''re just going to Cornwall or somewhere close. Get away for a few days with your son. Sound like a great idea.

She''s unstable and in the very selfish phase. Her actions are all about her and her interests. Make sure yours are all about you.

So keep going in the direction you''re headed. Be strong. Take it one day at a time. Look after yourself.

On work, that''s pretty important. I had to get a new job a few months ago as I was not doing well at my old one. The good thing about the new job is that there is so much to learn that I am very busy. I needed the change big time. It really helped me focus on work while I was there. Work is important, it helps pay the bills and is a great source of self confidence. So be mindful and don''t let that slip!

  • Marshy_
  • Marshy_'s Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 12 #323417 by Marshy_
Reply from Marshy_
Hi Sam. Just a short note to say that yr doing very well. You have the right attitude. Dont give her any money until she goes. Its her bed. She has made it. Now she has to lie on it. And we all have to live up to our decisions. She is no different to anyone else.

On the Sep deed. Sep deeds are less than useless. And they are even more useless unless you both have had independent advice on it. So if you want it to be carried over to a court order, then go and get some legal advice. Then you will need to get is sworn. But there is nothing wrong with having a sep deed. As it gives you some idea of what you are supposed to do post separation.

She cant take yr child out of the country legally without yr permission. Yes it does happen. But I doubt that she could organise that considering she cant apply for a job on her own.

Try not to worry too much. Actually, the biggest problem that you will face is that she may wish to come back after a little while. But that is a tale for another day. Stay strong. U are doing really well. C.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.