There has been a lot of bitchin' and whinin' on the site recently. I have no issue with people disagreeing with someone else's opinion as long as they give a valid reason. Constructive criticism when someone is so close to their own issue they cannot see the wood for the trees is often the best advice going.Personal attacks and sniping at members is unacceptable.
There has also been a lot of criticism of the moderating system, much of it unjustified. If people cannot learn what is acceptable and within the rules of the site then they should expect to be moderated. If you want to belong to a club then learn the club rules, if you don't like the rules explain what changes you want and the reasons why - don't shoot the people trying to uphold the rules.
Having said the above I am surprised to hear that Ephelia has been banned, I have seen Ephelia attacked on posts by various members and her replies have always been moderate and reasonable.
Would someone like to offer an explanation so we can make a reasoned judgement whether we think the banning is justified or not?
Out of respect for individual privacy, we cannot comment on any specific case where a member has been banned.
We are reluctantly forced into the position of having to ban a small number of members.
The kinds of behaviour that culminate in a ban include:
- users submitting posts which are potentially libelous or contravene section 97(2) of the Children Act 1989
- users consistently submitting posts which require moderation, as this diverts our volunteer team from more productive projects
- users persisting in verbally attacking other users, or being consistently judgemental/critical of other users
- members whose main use of the forum is to endlessly criticise their ex or a third party to their break-up, rather than seek support
- members whose main use of the forum is to attack and criticise a targeted subset of other members who happen to hold an opposing point of view
- racism, abusive language
- breaking our terms and conditions
In short, any disruptive behaviour which is not conducive to the open, supportive environment that we strive to maintain.
Please note that not all members whose accounts are disabled have been banned.
It is quite common for members to request to have their account disabled when they have moved on and no longer need support.
I have locked this thread. Bans are enforced for good reason, they are permanent, and will not be overturned.