A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • ariebombarie
  • ariebombarie's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 Jan 08 #10033 by ariebombarie
Topic started by ariebombarie
hello,i am separating from long term girlfriend we both own the house,we agreed that i am staying to live in the house.
do i just go to an estate agent for a valuation of the house? and take out an extra mortgage
please help

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Jan 08 #10043 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
What have you agreed -if it is to give her 50% of the equity get a joint valuation by an estate agent and from the valuation deduct the current mortgage including redemption penalty legal costs and say estate agents fees of a theoretical sale say 2% OF VALUES AND GIVE HER 50% of resulting balance

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Jan 08 #10053 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
It seems unreasonable to deduct fees that you aren't actually going to have to pay before you split the value. Why allow for estate agent costs if you aren't selling - or redemption fees if your lender allows you to increase your mortgage? To do this seems like asking for acrimony.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11