A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • PETAL's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
26 Jun 07 #1006 by PETAL
Topic started by PETAL
Does anyone know how I can get my ex to cough up his half of the mortgage my fdh has been changed from June until October and I have had no money 15 months and house is for sale but no buyer as yet.

All I get from my sol is it will cost me a fortune to get some money only I cant work any overtime at minute to pay it all which I have been to make ends meet as I have to visit my Mum in hospital weekends.

Must be able to get this somehow dont want maint as such just his half mortgage.

I telephoned the court to see if I could get a form for this they say it does not exist and dont know what im talking about.

Mortgage company wont persue him. Since when does a joint mortgage mean one person leaves and wont pay and then I have to pay the lot or pay to go to court.

Any simpe solns???????????????

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Jun 07 #1018 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11
Hi Petal,

I dont know if what i am about to say is right or not, its just simply what i would do in your circumstances!

I would write a letter to the mortgage company telling them i can no longer afford to pay all the monthly mortgage payments. I would explain the circumstances and i would say i am prepared to pay my half of the payments. I would also say that as the house is currently on the market any shortfall will be paid as soon as the property is sold. I would also say my soon ex to be lives at ********* and if you wish to pursue him for his half of the payments then please do so. I can only afford my half of the payment as i am now in a financial mess, i would write down all my outgoings and all my in comings showing them the financial state that i am in.

I would then cancel the direct debit payment and pay my half of the mortgage to the bank/Bs direct.

Its is my understanding (from what people tell me) that as long as you show you are prepared to pay something to these companies, then there really is not alot they can do as long as you show willing.

When you signed up for a mortgage jointly did it say anywhere, that if one of you decides they no longer want to live there, that the other is responsible for the payments? Its my understanding that you both owe equally.

Like i say........i dont know if what i have said is the best thing for you to do but it is what i would do in these circumstances.

Also have you visited CAB? i thought they could help you out and write to companies you owe money to and come up with a financial plan to help.

Im sorry i cant be of more help to you.

Kind Regards and best wishes

P.s..I would also keep a copy of the letter I wrote to show any Judge how you tried your hardest at resolving matters before you took the step of cancelling your DD.

  • tigstheterror
  • tigstheterror's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jun 07 #1036 by tigstheterror
Reply from tigstheterror
Hi,unfortunately even if there are 2 names on a mortgage the mortgage company wont care who pays as long as someone does!!! As far as i can tell if he wont pay half then he cant be made to,i honsetly cant see the mortgage company pursuing him for half as they wont get involved in marital difficulties,all they will say is the mortgage has to be paid,by who they wont worry over,and they will pursue both parties as its joint,not just one.I'm unsure as to wether if you pay half and ask them to go after him for the other half they would or not,i dont think they would in all honesty.As previous poster said, go and get some advice ASAP as you could be landing yourself in more hot water than necessary. Good luck,Sherri.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.