A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Divorce law, Alimony

  • robbo uk
  • robbo uk's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Jan 08 #10160 by robbo uk
Topic started by robbo uk
Two months ago I left my wife in the UK, (no children only 2 dogs) I am living and working in the middle east, I am offering to her the House and savings which is enough to pay the mortgage off and voluntary maintenance, but she says now that I must sign a paper (seperation order) for the maintenance agreement (I intended only paying for a year until she sorts out her life), I dont want to agree to this becouse my circumstances may change in the future, remarraige, Children hopefully. Is it law in the UK for what the Americans call Alimony, will I have to sign this agreement,
Please help..

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jan 08 #10176 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
With no kids and a house with a paid off mortgage then her housing needs are met and she will require only a modest income.

You dont mention 2 important factors.

You are offering her the house and savings....but what are you keeping for yourself. WIthout this info I cannot assess what percentage of the joint assets you are offering.

This is relevant because if she is being offered 50% or less then spousal maintenance is a stronger possibility than if you are offering her the majority of the assets as a kind of Clean Break.

Also you do not mention whether she is capable of earning a living. i.e can she be self sufficient. This is in fact the most critical criteria as if she (with the benefit of a mortgage free home) can earn enough to be self sufficient then spousal maintenance is unlikely.

  • robbo uk
  • robbo uk's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
09 Jan 08 #10315 by robbo uk
Reply from robbo uk
I will keep my pension worth probably 60k and she has just started a part time job, so yes she can work as well

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Jan 08 #10359 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Dont sign anything untill you have received legal advice.

Once agreed get a Consent Order from the court.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11