A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • bluegirl60
  • bluegirl60's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
08 Jan 08 #10212 by bluegirl60
Topic started by bluegirl60
Hi i have been married for 27 years we are now seperated i bought my house in my name he had no financal input he also bought a flat in his name i had no financal input . we also bought a flat together both finacally, before we bought the joint flat toghter he was renting his flat out and living with me he didnt pay me any rent or bill money as he said he wouldnt be able to afford his flat and that his flat was OUR pension fund, Q1, CAN HE MAKE A CLAIM ON MY PROPERTY? Q2 CAN I MAKE A CLAIM ON HIS PROPERTY SEEING I KEPT KEPT HIM IN ORDER FOR HIM TO AFFORD HIS PROPERTY[ WHICH HE SAID WAS OUR PENSION] we are selling joint property and splitting the proceeds 50/50 our children are over 18 i am living at my house with the children and he is still renting his flat out and he is living at our joint flat i am still paying 50/50 morgage bills HELP ann;)

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Jan 08 #10214 by mike62
Reply from mike62

Welcome to Wikivorce. It's a great community of people sharing help, support and goodwill.

Your own situation is fairly straightforward. You have been in a long marriage, so all three properties are assets of the marriage and therefore go in 'the pot'.

As you point out, with grown up children, the starting point for the division of assets should be 50:50.

So add up the value of all of the assets, deduct the liabilities (mortgages, loans etc) and divide by 2.

Of course there may be disparities with income between you and your STBX, either of you may have additional needs that need to be considered.

If you post a lot more deatils up then someone more experienced will give you an idea of what the likely split a court would allot to your case.

They need to know:

Value of properties
Mortgage / loans outstanding

Your income
His income

Any pensions, savings or other assets over £500

Best of luck,


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.