A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

divorce absolute before financial agreement

  • sunsilk
  • sunsilk's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Jan 08 #10547 by sunsilk
Topic started by sunsilk
My husband is filing for divorce against me under the unreasonable behaviour route. He has in fact had 2 affairs and is fed up with family life apparently so walked out on me and my 2 children. All he has put down on the papers is lies and eventhough I have denied all of this, I am not going to defend it as I now know what a pig he is.
Is he able to go ahead with the Divorce Abolsute before the finances are agreed ? He is paying the minimum amount possible and I am struggling to keep my head above water. I have taken on all of the house direct debits including the mortgage as I am living in the family home. I have a child with ADHD and Tourettes Syndrome and am only able to work around school hours.
How long will he have to pay for him and will I lose all of tax credits when they both leave school?
Will the court take into consideration my situation when I do not get tax credits and child benefit in 18 months time or do they just look at my current financial situation.
If this is the case, I will not be able to survive after 18months on my basic wage if I do not get tax credits or money from him.
Any help from anyone?

  • topaz
  • topaz's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Jan 08 #10550 by topaz
Reply from topaz
have you got a solicitor representing you if not you should get one.if yes, your solicitor should make sure that the finances are addressed before the absolute.I have no knowledge of pension credits etc no experience of it as mine are all grown up now so I cant advise you, but I do know that the welfare of any children is a priority.If you haven't a sol ask citizen advice for information, they can tell you of local sols who do first consult for free.if you need legal aid etc they will advise you.Also someone online very soon will be able to give you more specific info re what you were asking about so keep checking in.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11