A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Clean break

  • Dragon beware
  • Dragon beware's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
13 Jan 08 #10601 by Dragon beware
Topic started by Dragon beware
Hi all, newby member here. I divorced 10 years ago. Expensive settlement in ex-wife favour at Court in Holborn London. Children young so no Clean Break.
After 10 years of paying high maintenance i've had enough. Children are 18 and 21. One at Univ and one about to start.
I have a directions hearing in February at The Principal Registry Family Division in London as i am requesting that an end date is now set and a clean break agreed.

Representing myself.

I do not have a problem paying Child Support, my grief is the level the ex gets which encourages her not to work.

Has anyone else taken an Order back to Court and got it changed after a period of years?

Any advice particularly case law gratefully received.

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jan 08 #10607 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
Dragon Beware,

I think this link should be of considerable interest to you.

It cites a recent case which says ex's should not expect to receive SM to keep them forever at std of living enjoyed during marriage....but rather SM is to help them transition from lifestyle during marriage into lifestyle they could reasonably expect as a self supporting individual.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.