A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Bank account disclosure

  • robin
  • robin's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Jan 08 #10641 by robin
Topic started by robin
A relative of mine has told me she wants to leave me a small sum of money as an inheritance but wants to give me the money now to avoid any problems, post will.Also she doesn't want my spouse to have any of the money as they have never gotten along.
Can i open a bank account soley in my name without correspondance going to my home address and as such in the event of the divorce settlement will my wifes solicitor be able to get details and access to my account ?

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jan 08 #10644 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
In short no. Your spouse will be able to claim a share on divorce.

  • robin
  • robin's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Jan 08 #10646 by robin
Reply from robin
But if my spouse has no idea about the money, ie paid in cash to me via relative ?

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jan 08 #10649 by mike62
Reply from mike62
My suggestion

1. Buy some plastic bags
2. Make sure that the bank notes are the most current, and wrap them in the plastic bags
3. Buy a little cash box and put the cash in
4. Dig a secret hole somewhere and bury it
5. Dig it up when your divorce is done

Ask yourself the question - How would you feel in your other half did the same to you?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.