A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

what kind of financial support can i expect

  • maz_ed74
  • maz_ed74's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
15 Jan 08 #10722 by maz_ed74
Topic started by maz_ed74
My husband walked out on me 10days before xmas after sleeping with his collegue.
He has been a student for most of our marriage and i have supported him to get his phd so now he is earning £32000 with annual pay rises.
We have no assests and rent our house despite being married for 13yrs
i work full-time and earn 16,000.
I will have full custody of our 2 children,which he says entitles me to about £400 in child matinence however he believes he should not pay anything towards me.
Is this right?
Any advice greatfully recieved as this is still a mine field i wish not to be in:(

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jan 08 #10727 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
It is certainly possible for a wife to receive spousal maintenance on top of child support.

As a general rule of thumb, I think this would come into consideration if he earns twice as much as you, but if he is cohabiting, that might have a bearing on it. This is because he presumably shares housing and living expenses, which frees up some of his income. I think it's borderline, quite honestly, but I do recommend you take legal advice from a solicitor who specialises in family law.

In cases like this you need to look at the full picture and not just part of it. For example, a generous capital settlement can result in a lower provision for spousal maintenance than would otherwise be the case.

Mike 100468

  • maz_ed74
  • maz_ed74's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Jan 08 #11049 by maz_ed74
Reply from maz_ed74
thanks mike100468

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11