A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Do I have to go through the whole Ancillary Relief

  • P194
  • P194's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Jan 08 #11087 by P194
Topic started by P194
I have what seems a fairly straightforward situation - married only 5 years, no children and agreement on grounds of two years separation.

I see the logic of the Consent Order - to avoid later claims that could create unwelcome stress in a new life - but am wondering if we have to follow the Ancillary Relief process in order to be ready with the Consent Order request, after receipt of the Decree Nisi.

If we have analysed our financial situation confidently and both are agreed on a strategy, can we avoid the delay of the AR process and prepare directly for the Consent Order?

Any advice from those who have already traveled further along this unfortunate road would be most welcome!

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jan 08 #11090 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
No need for court proceedings if both parties in agreement.

Try mediation to agree split of assets then pass draft agreement to sol to be made into consent order.

Total cost about £500 approx.

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jan 08 #11104 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
All needed is an agreed and signed Minute of Agreement + Statement of financial Information form filled in and signed by both parties and a £30 Court fee

Order can be made on or after Decree Nisi and will take effect on the Decree Absolute

Most Courts list the matter for a 5 min hearing before the District Judge if either party self repping

  • P194
  • P194's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Jan 08 #11151 by P194
Reply from P194
Many thanks to you both for your advice. I'll see how things progress on that basis.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.