A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Proof of residence

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jul 07 #1145 by gone1
Topic started by gone1
My ex has a partner living with her. She is going to say that he is only living there 3 days a week on her form E. She will also say that he is not contributing to the household. I know he is becuase all his money goes to her. I have smart search printout that says he is on the electoral register there. Is this enough proof? Do I need a private detective to take pictures of his car parked outside? How else can I prove that he is living full time there? Cheers, ChrisM

  • Dockley
  • Dockley's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
04 Jul 07 #1146 by Dockley
Reply from Dockley
Hi ChrisM

When the exchange of information on Form E is done, and both parties are in receipt of each others declaration, you are both able to raise questions regarding the content in the Form E of which you do not agree.

I would therefore suggest that if the new partner is not declared as cohabiting with her/him that your solicitor lists this as opening question in the Statement of Issues following receipt of the completed Form E.

It could go along the lines.... the respondent/applicant states that she/he is not cohabiting, please state when the current period of cohabitation came to an end. Clearly the parties have been cohabiting since..... as detailed on the electoral register dated.... and the applicant/respondent is aware that .....vehicle is parked at......on a permanent basis.

The electoral register sounds good enough proof to me and by asking the question of cohabitation it puts doubt in the mind of the judge. You could also request that the NP provides proof of not cohabiting, thereby placing the onus on them to prove that NP lives elsewhere. I assume NP does not have own home or other address?

I doubt that any judge would believe that someone lives only 3 days per week with a NP, unless there was good enough reason for them not to, ie: serving in forces etc, it just sounds unrealistic.


  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jul 07 #1148 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11
Hi ChrisM

Forget a private detective, when this happened to us...i.e...my NP ex wife denied her partner was living with them...we informed the legal aid board that they were cohabiting, we gave them proof of a joint loan and various other things, but they said it "it wasnt enough"! They also said they have evidence in the form of videos from private investigators that show 24hrs a day, 7 days a week of couples cohabitating and still its not enough, if two people deny living together there really is little you can do to proove that they are"! So dont waste your money on trying to proove this.
You have good enough evidence in the form of electoral role document! Also when the issues are raised from her form e, you may be pleasantly suprised with the questions you can raise from this.
In our case his ex made many mistakes and it just goes to show how you can slip up if you dont tell the truth! We finally got proof from her THREE!!! (she was ordered by a Judge 3 times to submit a PROPER!! form E as each one she did was a joke!) form Es she submitted and she has now had her legal aid revoked, yesterday i looked at land registry site and low and behold the Legal Aid board have put a charge on her property to recover the money she fraudentely claimed.
I know it is very frustrating when they lie and try and cheat but you have got to be patient, they usually drop themselves in it.
As for Dockleys post i totally agree and you should put this information in your questions that arise from her Form E.

Kind Regards

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jul 07 #1150 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Thanks for the prompt replies. Its not the only lies I am sure that will be sprung on me I am sure. Cheers, Chris.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.