A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Used to set himself up in life!!

  • mitre1
  • mitre1's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
23 Jan 08 #11637 by mitre1
Topic started by mitre1
Can anyone advise if im entitled to financial support off my soon to be ex. When I met him he lived in a council house with now job and had custody of his 4 year old daugher where as I came from a more afluent background and had a 2 year old son. To cut a long story short my brother who was in a good position at his firm got him a job (which included training on a trade) then after two years of working together my brother set up his own business with three others and also asked my husband to invest. He didnt have the finances so he asked me to ask my mother to lend it to him which she did. We were living together then and I had to get the mortgage as he is black listed and I even had to put my name to his lease van because of this.
He worked long hours and I picked the kids up and did everything for them eventhough I worked myself. I also paid half of all the bills etc We were together 8 years and married for 2 but he has now left me and rekons i am not entitled to touch the business as he left me in the house, im struggling to pay the mortgage and his daughter has moved back in with her mother. The only support I get is he pays the finance for the car I drive. He gets a van / fuel from the business and also his mobile bill paid so has less living expenses apart from the fact he earns twice as much as me and he has a lodger who pays him rent.
He has managed to scare my brother regarding the business and they even went as far as fraudilently transfering his shares back into the business so it looked like he just worked there (even though he is still paying my mum back) He says paying the car is enough but surley after struggling with money to set him up and looking after the kids im entitled to more?

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jan 08 #11669 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
am i correct you said everythng in your name as he is blacklisted,
If so then go seek legal advice, thetimeyoucohabited istakeninto account eventhough only married for 2 years.
good luck you should be ok

  • mitre1
  • mitre1's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Jan 08 #11810 by mitre1
Reply from mitre1
Thanks Loobyloo, although we were only married a short time we were living together for just short of 8 years, its more if im entitled to any part of his business that id like to know, the house is in my name, its just under the circumstances as I think he just ripped me off for what he could get id like to claim my share of the hard work in setting up the business

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.