A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mesher order for the husband to stay in FMH?

  • Dockley
  • Dockley's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
06 Jul 07 #1200 by Dockley
Topic started by Dockley
Hi All

Does anyone know how a mesher order would work for the husband to stay in FMH with one child.
Earnings significantly higher than wife's but unable to raise enough funds to buy her share out.

Wondered if could go for a mesher order, but unsure of the grounds for this.


  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jul 07 #1252 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

My understanding is that:
- You(higher earner) are in FMH with younger child
- Wife((lower earner) is renting with older child and new partner

Lets ignore the New Partner for a minute - imagine she is on her own.

In this case you have 1 child to care for each (i.e. similar needs), but she has significantly lower earning capacity.

In this scenario I doubt that you could achieve the outcome of you remaining in FMH with a mesher in place which would mean that she has to wait for younger child to leave home before she gets any capital.

I would guess that the home would be sold and capital split (probably in her favour - due to her lower earning capacity).

If she got married - and the new husband could support her then maybe what you describe is possible.

If she co-habits - then i think the court would have to be cautious about the longevity of this new relationshiop and so would seek to protect her in case the new relationship breaksdown - so i really doubt that you would get an order tying her capital up in a Mesher.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.