A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Legal aid

  • SALLYANN777's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
08 Jul 07 #1244 by SALLYANN777
Topic started by SALLYANN777
Just got my latest offer from legal aid......my solicitor filled in a lot of the form this time and she included a joint endowment that matures in approx 13 years. The value of this endowment if cashed in now would be around £3000 and £6000 at maturity. The legal aid people have classed this as capital and have asked me to pay nearly £4000 immediately.I don't understand why they are asking for this money because it is a joint asset and obviously will be in dispute in the divorce proceedings, they have used the £6000 figure in their calculations even though it is not worth that now and in any case I cannot obtain that money because it is a joint asset...can't see my husband saying " here, take it all!!" can you?
Does anyone know why the legal commision has come up with this ludicrous offer...has anyone else had a similar experience?

  • pinkfish
  • pinkfish's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
09 Jul 07 #1251 by pinkfish
Reply from pinkfish
I too am on legal aid and had a similar problem. I contacted the commission myself and also backed up the call with a letter explaining that I was on benefits(had to include proof) and that the endowments where jointly owned and that the stbx did not agree to cash them in. If you qualify for legal aid you must be on a low income so send proof of that as well. My situation did get sorted but it was me that sorted it the solicitor wasn't very good and in fact I later changed to a different one who has moved things forward for me and I am now almost done and dusted.
Hope this helps.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.