A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

divorced but still confuised on where we stand

  • skits
  • skits's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Feb 08 #13304 by skits
Topic started by skits

my partner and i have been dating for 2 years, he as been divorced 3 years and as one child of 10 years old.

when they divorced he gave the entire house valued at 178,000 pounds which she sold and bought another house for her and the child to live in

he was able to keep his full pension as she agreed she would have the full house

his pension was worth at the time 100,000 but due to medical reasons (on going depresion) he as been medically retired by his company and his pension is now worth a lot less

is his ex wife still entillted to child maitinece as she wanted a Clean Break and a lump sum (money from the house)

they both have joint custody but his ex wont let him see his child? without going through her solicitor and drawing up a time table. is she able to do this as i thought joint custody ment they would share the child either 30/70 or 50/50 the child lives full time with the ex as she wont let him stay at ours?

any advise please

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Feb 08 #13308 by mike62
Reply from mike62
child maintenance is a mandatory requirement and cannot be incorporated as part of a clean break agreement. THe clean break relates to the division of assets and any spousal maintenance that may have been due.

Child maintenance is administered by CSA and for 1 child it is 15% of nett (post Tax, NI and pension) income. THis is payable until the child reaches 18 years or 19 in full time education.

'Custody' is no longer used in the context of childcare arrangements. It is now known as a residency order.

Childcare arrangement can often be contentious and quite wrongly some parents use the children as weapons against each other.

What childcare arrangement was incorporated in his divorce exactly?

Post up some more info and someone will advise


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Feb 08 #13328 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Often disputes about contact are about times, length of visit, holidays, etc and not about contact per se. The best way to resolve them is through mediation if at all possible, although negotiating through sols can work too.

  • Elle
  • Elle's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
09 Feb 08 #13332 by Elle
Reply from Elle
|s wot ur saying set in a formal agreement or the wording of an informal arrangement? This will make a difference and the more experienced members can give u lots of advice if you provide firther info

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.