A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

voluntary disclosure - any experience of time etc

  • Mrs Ingledew
  • Mrs Ingledew's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Feb 08 #13643 by Mrs Ingledew
Topic started by Mrs Ingledew
For the first time my stbx seems to be lifting his head out of the sand.

We have asked for voluntary disclosure and his solicitor has got in touch with mine to say they are willing to start this.

I have completed form E in full and as my ex and I had nearly everything "joint" I am aware of his debt position and of mine.

The bottom line is I have more personal debt that he does,the assets do not cover the joint debt and he owes our joint company approx 20k.

His solicitor has tentatively suggested I take the house in exchange for my stbx having a small lump sum to cover his debts. His debts are: approx 25k on credit cards and on a joint loan. Mine are approx 55k.
There is a max of 9K to split in the house.

Would it seem fair to him for me to say I will take the house in full. After all that leaves me worse off by 21k (matrimonial debt)than him. I also expect to have to cover his 20k in the company.

But to get rid of him I would be willing (begrudingly) to pay him half the house.

Is there a chance a court would award him more than half the assets. He has a new house with his partner and I have the 2 children for whom he currently pays nothing.

Now if we can come to an agreement and I am not counting my chickens what is the process? Does this go to court on a court order and if so how long does it take?

  • Realitybites1970
  • Realitybites1970's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Feb 08 #13644 by Realitybites1970
Reply from Realitybites1970
My personal experience is that it is a straight forward thing that can be made very difficult depending on peoples behaviour. Mine for example, the other side delayed the form E for 2 weeks, want everything despite me being penniless and have completed a form E that has little detail and does not account for thousands. On the other hand, some people exchange, come to an agreement, get it drawn up, agreed by both sides and rubber stamped by the court. Totally depends on the parties involved I'm afraid.
Sorry not to be of more use

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Feb 08 #13646 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
In principle your proposal sounds fine, but as always it's difficult to comment without knowing the full picture eg income, length of marriage, pensions. You most certainly want to avoid court if the assets are only worth £9k.

When it's possible to reach agreement sols will draw up a document which is submitted to court with a simplified financial form and (with the court's approval) becomes a legally binding Consent Order.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.