A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House value?

  • fio
  • fio's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
22 Jul 07 #1503 by fio
Topic started by fio
I know my husband is thinking in terms of divorce after 28 years of marriage. I was wondering if anyone could advise me please. We have a house which is need of refurbishment and modernisation. When he goes I would like to get the house up to scratch, with a view to increasing its value. Should I have it valued as soon as he leaves? Will I have to share the increase in value?
I know I really need to talk to a solictor, but haven't plucked up the courage yet.
I don't have my own income, having given up my career when we had the children, now 21 and 18 years old.
Would appreciate any advice - thanks.

  • vanessa
  • vanessa's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
22 Jul 07 #1511 by vanessa
Reply from vanessa
If you can sort the settlement out yourselves then the value is what you agree but if you end up going through the courts it will valued when the finances are eventually sorted.he will have a share of the profit although your input may be considered although wih no income you'll have difficulties affording to do that.
There is more than just the house to consider get some advice some solicitors give free 1/2 hour consultations.

  • CollaborativeFamilyLaw
  • CollaborativeFamilyLaw's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
22 Jul 07 #1512 by CollaborativeFamilyLaw
Reply from CollaborativeFamilyLaw
Much depends on whether or not the house will have to be sold. I would in any event obtain three estate agents appraisals to get an idea of its current value. You shouls ask then whether or not its worth investing further capital on revovation work etc...quite often it isn't. Do this before you consult with a solicitor.

  • fio
  • fio's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
22 Jul 07 #1513 by fio
Reply from fio
Thanks to both of you for replying - good advice, I think a valuation from an estate agents is going to be useful.

  • markp
  • markp's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
06 Aug 07 #1770 by markp
Reply from markp
i'm in the same situation my solicitor adviced me to do nothing in the house and to get valuations from 2 or 3 local estate agents that give them free. if you make any improvements in the house it will increase in value by some degree and the other party will benefit from that increase untill things are legally agreed.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.