A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mortgage debts

  • clareb26
  • clareb26's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Feb 08 #15142 by clareb26
Topic started by clareb26
My husband & I were married for 5. We have 1 child together, we split up after his affair when our child was 18 months old.
It has been 2 and half years since the split and we are trying to come to a financial settlement regarding the house.

The monthly mortgage on the house I have paid since the split.
There is 30K equity remaining in the property of which he is willing to sign over to me.

Question - Throughout the marriage we remortgaged £100K of which 70K was because of his buisness debts
I have itemised credit card transactions on all buisness purchases and when we remortgaged to pay these off.

Who is liable for these remortgages ? Even if I have the house and equity remaining can I claim some money spent on his buisness debts back from him???

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Feb 08 #15198 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I'm assuming that the house is in joint names and that you both signed the mortgages.

As far as the lender is concerned, if you both signed the mortgages, you are both liable.

My immediate reaction is, can't your husband claim these debts against tax as a business expense ? This would suggest that it would be more logical to allocate the responsibility for the debts to him.

As you say, one way of dealing with the matter would be to order a property transfer, or perhaps higher spousal maintenance, but whether these courses are appropriate depends on your finances.


  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Feb 08 #15212 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
Court will look at the detailed finances of parties -in reality they are not going to make him pay the debts especially if you get the equity.....one needs to know loads of info to reach a decision

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.