A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • positivesurvivor
  • positivesurvivor's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Mar 08 #15781 by positivesurvivor
Topic started by positivesurvivor
i filed my divorce papers in feb 07, soon 2bx moved out a few months later, recieved my nicci in sep 07, i and my son moved in with my mother soon after leaving the former mh empty and up for sale. at the end of o7 i recieved an inheritance payout. would my soon 2bx be entitled to any of this money.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Mar 08 #15792 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Yes, it is possible. Under some jurisdictions, property inherited or brought by one spouse into the marriage is not available for distribution between the spouses on divorce. In England and Wales this ' ain't necessarily so '.

The fact that it was inherited is of course a factor which the Court must and would take into account, but there is no rule that a divorced spouse cannot make a claim on it. A great deal depends on the circumstances and in particular the needs of the soon to be divorced spouses. I would suggest you take legal advice.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.