A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

form e

  • positivesurvivor
  • positivesurvivor's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Mar 08 #15823 by positivesurvivor
Topic started by positivesurvivor
me and my stbx had, or so i thought, agreed how the finances should be split between ourselves. but now he has completely changed his mind and said he wants to go down the route of filling in form E's. he seems to think that i am responsible for credit card bills and debts that he has run up since we have been seperated.

So i have two questions really, 1 Will i be held responsible for his personal debt since seperation, and 2 how long can i expect the whole process of financial disclosure and reaching a descision to take.

Completely fed up with the whole process and just want to get on with my own life now.

Thanks guys

  • BVG
  • BVG's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Mar 08 #15826 by BVG
Reply from BVG
Hi positivesurvivor

The Form E disclosure will, if answered honestly, provided all the information, finacial and otherwise, for disclosure at a court hearing. His debts and your debts will be listed in the Form E. He will have to argue and prove that the debts run up since separation are joint debts. I tend to think he will not win this one.

You both will be asked to provide bank and credit card statments as evidence, and you will be able to look at each others, to settle any joint debt issues.

Have a look at a Form E which I think you can get from the RESOURCES section.

The first hearing, will take place after the Form E's have been exchanged and both parties have had a reasonable time to investigate and make notes on, At the first hearing basic guidelines will be set out by the DJ and the sols, may ask for further information and evidence.

A new date will be set for what is known as the FDR, were hopefully any offers of settlement can be ratified and finalised. If no agreement is reached then you will go to a Final Hearing where the DJ will make the decision based on all circumstances including the Form E.

This process could easily take up to a year or more.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.