A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

future inheritances

  • soon2be
  • soon2be's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Mar 08 #16061 by soon2be
Topic started by soon2be
My soon to be ex has told me he can claim on any future inheritances left to me after our divorce is finalised...he has thrown a few curved balls at me during heated discussions but he swears he has been advised he can do this..is this true?

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
07 Mar 08 #16103 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Hello Soon2be

It depends if you have a Clean Break Consent Order it should have a provision to prevent any future claim by your x.

If you dont have clean break then yes a claim may be considered.


  • Ladybelle
  • Ladybelle's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Mar 08 #16116 by Ladybelle
Reply from Ladybelle
I was told by my sol I couldnt claim on any future inheritances from my x2b ? He has 2 big ones at some point in the future. If I get spousal maintenance does that mean I might be able to claim something in the future ?

  • Gingerkitty
  • Gingerkitty's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Mar 08 #16117 by Gingerkitty
Reply from Gingerkitty
Hi there - I have had to ask my parents to get their Wills sorted prior to me getting divorced. They have consulted their solicitor who has tied everything up into a trust as my money grabbing X2B would have no hesitation in trying to get his mitts on any future money I did get.
My solicitor did say to me that once the DAbsolute is made then we are no longer anything to do with each other ie we are two separate people and would have no right to make any claim, but, to make sure, I got my parents to seek advice on their part too.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.