A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can his ex make a claim on my assets?

  • Catwoman
  • Catwoman's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 May 07 #162 by Catwoman
Topic started by Catwoman
Hi there
Love the site - good to have somewhere to turn to for info.

I am about to divorce my husband of 25 years. We have 2 sons aged 21 and 19 who will live with me. With a 50/50 split we should both be able to rehouse ourselves. (I can just about afford somewhere big enough for myself and 2 sons with a huge mortgage). I work full time and my husband is semi retired.

My new partner has been married 20 years and has 5 children (3 teeenagers who are self supporing and 2 younger ones aged 9 and 3). His wife hasn't worked for 20 years. Obviously his wife will stay in the marital home with the children and he will pay child maintenance and presumably pay the existing mortgage and spousal maintenance. (Although I think when the youngest starts full time school it will be about time his wife got a job and take some financial responsibility for herself after all these years)

Does anyone know, if he moves in with me will my new house and financial circumstances be taken into account when deciding his financial settlement for his wife? Will he have to sign over his existing house to his wife and still pay the mortgage? What if his wife moves a new man in - would the new man live for 'free' while we still for pay everything?

We've both been married a long time so this divorce thing and splitting of assets is very new to us.


  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
05 May 07 #163 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
Hi Catwoman,

Well with two divorces going on your situation takes a little unravelling.

Your key questions are around whether your new partner moving in with you will impact the divorce settlement with his soon to be ex:

Can she claim some of my assets?
No - she only has a claim to assets belonging to the marriage (i.e. jointly accrued marital assets or her husbands assets)

Can she claim some of my income as maintenance?
No - she can only claim on his income.

However - the fact he has moved in with you does have an impact in that it reduces his outgoings (because you have a house and he has less bills/mortgage to pay than if he lived on his own). This can impact:
1) Periodic payments - she may get higher monthly maintenance as it is deemed he can afford more because his outgoings are lowered by co-habiting with you.
2) Capital split - this can veer away from 50:50 to 60:40 or 70:30 (or up to 100%)for example, typically in favour of the parent with care for the kids

Independent of the co-habiting factor - just looking at your new partner's divorce in isolation, he is likely to face a hefty payout (i.e. she will likely get bigger share of assets and very sizeable maintenance - im assuming he earns a decent wage), this is because she:
- has 5 kids (including 2 quite young)
- was in a long marriage
- does not have a job
- will be unlikely to be able to earn much with 5 kids to look after

  • Catwoman
  • Catwoman's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 May 07 #168 by Catwoman
Reply from Catwoman
Hi there, thanks for the prompt reply.

Just one more thing... as my new partner's soon to be ex doesn't work therefore cannot get a mortgage, is it possible that the she could be awarded 100% of the equity in the property if he still has to pay the mortgage. I know you can't have a mortgage on a property that you don't own part of - so how would that work?

Thanks again.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.