A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Spousal maintanence and what i should be paying

  • snowboard360
  • snowboard360's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
01 Aug 07 #1687 by snowboard360
Topic started by snowboard360
hi guys.

I left my wife and child (now 2.5yrs old) after 11 years of marriage. no one else was invloved judt broke down. we have been in good communication since and i have been paying half the bills and mortgage in the house we both had which she has stayed in. she has agreed for us to sell the house as we ahve a large loan secured on it which we need to clear. i have been paying just over 15% net income as child maintanance and the balance of the child care (another £112 a month).....she has now decided with her parents help to stay in the house but she is not sure if even after they pay large chunk of it off she wont be able to afford bills and mortage. She has now started mentioning Spousal support...something her solicitor mentioned....mine has not mentioned it to me...now i in no way want to NOT pay her what she deserves.....but i just done want to be taken in such a way that i cant afford to buy a house close to my son so i can then better share the responsabilities which my wife is having 70% of at the moment.

she earnes about £1000 net each month and has some futhyer income which is no more than £30 a week.

i earn £2600 net each month.

i realise i wont get specifics...but will she qualify and any idea roughly what i may have to pay...

she dropped her hours at work as a joint decision....and i could suggest i pay for the extra two days child care and she can go back full time.....

any help would be great...and as ai say i just want to work out what is both fair and right....i do not want it to ruin our good friendship which thankfully we have retained.


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Aug 07 #1694 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.