A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mediation successful, now what?

  • wilbur3pig
  • wilbur3pig's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Aug 07 #1764 by wilbur3pig
Topic started by wilbur3pig
My soon to be ex and I have so far been able to deal amicably with our divorce. I have a Decree Nisi, I am the applicant, and did all the paperwork myself, and we have just completed mediation. We have agreed about arrangements for the kids. We have agreed splits for the house and assets, and monthly child support. I believe he will pay this. I know we have to use a solicitor to draw up paperwork for the share of the equity in the house that he will retain. The mediator advised using the same solicitor to save money as there is no disagreement.

What else do we need to ask the solicitor to do?

Do I now apply for Decree Absolute?

Are there any obvious pitfalls I should be aware of?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Aug 07 #1773 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
What you need to do is to have what is known as a ' Consent Order ' - namely a Court order where the parties are agreed on the terms of the order which the Court is being asked to make. This is neither particularly difficult nor expensive, and as you say, the arrangements for the house, along with the other terms agreed between you, can be set out in the order.

One word of warning, my understanding that you should get your consent order first and only then apply for the decree absolute. By all means check this with your solicitor as you will be seeing him/her anyway, but I don't think I am wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice if all divorces were as straightforward as this ?

Mike 100468

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.