A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Pension Sharing - How do I go about it?

  • sailorcaz1
  • sailorcaz1's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
08 Aug 07 #1842 by sailorcaz1
Topic started by sailorcaz1
My husband and I are splitting his pensions 50/50 which is great, but I am not sure how we go about this? I know he has to find out the CETV of each one so they can be split, but the actual physical splitting of them, I am not sure about.

I read on the web that it needs to be done via Court Order after Decree Nisi (which took place on 6 Aug), but we want to sort this out on our own if we can - we have done all the rest of the divorce proceedings ourselves very amicably.

Does anyone have any ideas as to next steps I need to take, or whether I have to get Court Order?

I have written to my current pension provider to find out whether they can accept the funds from my husbands' pension providers but haven't heard back yet.

Any thoughts welcome.


  • maggie
  • maggie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Aug 07 #1873 by maggie
Reply from maggie
you can't do pension sharing without a court order - only the court can order a pension scheme to transfer part of the member's pension to a non-member.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.