A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Relevance of further education on Form E??

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
18 Aug 07 #2147 by Sera
Reply from Sera

A court will only consider what is being asked for. If your ex is asking for Uni fees, they will look at that. Whether or not she is awarded the amount isn't known, that could differ between two different judges, and you will have a right to appeal. You could offer to put the amount in a Savings account, (showing a willingness to contribute) but withdraw it later if not needed. You also have the rights to request funds for your son.

The courts can only split assets that are there. If Uni fees are not available, (to both kids) then they'll have to take out student loans, like the real world has to.

Most parents at my sons school were running two jobs to pay fees, and driving old beat-up cars, because we couldn't afford both a good education, and a lavish lifestyle.

What people state as 'needs' on form E's, and what is available, or what is deemed nessecary will be different for each case.

I'd suggest you counteract her claim, with your own if you are thinking ahead for your sons needs.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.