A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Relevance of further education on Form E??

  • divwiki
  • divwiki's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
17 Aug 07 #2083 by divwiki
Reply from divwiki
Although female teenagers generally have better academic results than teenage males it is clearly sexually prejudiced (though maybe not actually sexist) to assume her attendance at Uni above his unless both your boy and your girl have stated their intentions.
However, playing Devil's Advocate, I must point out that academic results you supply may not be relevent to the course. For example, if she or your son chose or indeed adegree level of carpentry.
I am sure your children's achievements will make you justly proud of them.:)Agree with you about your ex's intent though!:angry:

  • divwiki
  • divwiki's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
17 Aug 07 #2113 by divwiki
Reply from divwiki
I am sure I typed that message right, but it seems to have "edited" the sense out of it. Mind you it was 3am!
Anyway I was saying she might choose a vocational course like nursing where the academic pre-requisites are far less important, speaking as a former student nurse.
No harm showing it to the court anyway though

  • flower2
  • flower2's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
17 Aug 07 #2124 by flower2
Reply from flower2
You talk a lot of sense. You are realistic, presume you have been through the uni route.

  • Athene
  • Athene's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
18 Aug 07 #2134 by Athene
Reply from Athene
I'm hesitant to comment on this but I have some knowledge of the university system.

Student loans probably cover about half of students' living expenses - at some universities the loan isn't even enough for self-catering accommodation in term-times. Students have to eat, pay for additional living expenses and are also expected to buy their own books, stationery, equipment, computer, etc and pay fees for internet access, etc. Some students have to work during term but no allowance is made for this (sexysadie is right). Some universities try to stop students working in term. Poorer students (the ones without parental support) often end up working 40 hours a week while trying to do a full-time degree (which also expects 40 or more hours work a week). Quite a few students fail elements of their degree or drop out as a result and others do less well than they should.

Incidentally, school results aren't always a good way of predicting degree results.

I think there are lots of things wrong with government policy on funding students. As a parent I shall do my best to see that my children can focus on their studies without taking jobs in term-time - if they go to university. Some kids do well without going to university but a number of jobs are now entirely or largely restricted to graduates.

There's an interactive calculator which may help at www.aimhigher.ac.uk/student_finance/mone...iving_calculator.cfm

UCAS also helps with some useful advice aimed at potential students: www.ucas.com/studentfinance/index.html

Individual universities are also getting better at explaining funding and cost of living but remember that this varies widely between institutions.

The Guarduan newspaper also offers helfpul advice - for instance at money.guardian.co.uk/creditanddebt/stude...y/0,,2149314,00.html

I assume that everyone on this site wants to do their best for children or step-children and therefore wants to find out the facts. It's a very expensive time. Students starting their degree courses today will probably leave university with debts of between £20,000 and £30,000, - and if they work in term-time they risk their degrees.

  • divwiki
  • divwiki's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
18 Aug 07 #2137 by divwiki
Reply from divwiki
Thanks, flower2, and yes I have!Thinking of going back too when this divorce is all over.

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
18 Aug 07 #2139 by Sera
Reply from Sera
From my first divorce experience (1999). I had a lump-sum settlement, and a Clean Break divorce. The judge did state that I could not go back to seek further claim against my husband for myself, however, he did state that I could go back for school fees.

Since it's questionable as to whether or not your daughter goes to Uni, how about the courts re-address that issue if and when she needs fees?

And if a lump-sum agreement is settled in your wifes favour, you must specify that it is for University fees. I don't know how your future stands if money is provided now, but the kid doesn't go to Uni, and you ex spends it elsewhere?

A guy I know, decided to give his wife a lump-sum advance on their 2-yr-old daughters maintenance. His ex-wife blew it on a bad business deal (with her new boyfriend) and came back to him for more money. He was ordered to pay all over again!

  • Dockley
  • Dockley's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
18 Aug 07 #2142 by Dockley
Reply from Dockley
Thanks Sera, you seem to have grasped what I meant.

This post seems to have gone off the track of "relevance" slightly.

I am fully aware of the cost implications of further education and funding for students. Am also aware of academic ability according to gender. I also understand that my daughters current grades need serious work, something I will also be addressing.

My point was:

The relevance of this at court.

If my daughter does go to Uni, I will still be paying maintenance to my wife altho I prefer the idea of paying this direct to my daughter at some stage.

But what about my son?
He is with me, and there is no suggestion on my or my wifes form E regarding fees if he also went to Uni

So if he did, would I then be funding him at that time of doing it (2011?) but also giving my wife capital now (2007) for the possibility of my daughter going to Uni in 2009?

The point is, will the judge take into account the £13,000 as a serious additional capital need for my wife whilst taking no additional account of capital need for me.

I just dont like the assumption that my daughter is academically able to go to Uni, but hey, my son wont be.

Neither child has firm ideas of what they will do when leaving school and I just feel the way she has worded Form E allows her to achieve an even larger share of the capital.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.