A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

my partners house

  • chunks
  • chunks's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Aug 07 #2193 by chunks
Topic started by chunks
i left my wife 12 months ago and the divorce will be finalised next week. We are still a long way from organising finances. My partner wants me to move in with her but i have been warned not to do this as my ex wife may be able to put a claim on her assets and her wage taken into consideration for child maintenance. Has anyone any advive or similar experience?

  • OBEs 1 canoodly
  • OBEs 1 canoodly's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
20 Aug 07 #2200 by OBEs 1 canoodly
Reply from OBEs 1 canoodly
Yes, I think the best advice anyone can give you is to wait until your divorce and finances are settled before you live with a new partner. Take it from us the heartache and mess it is causing us I wouldn't wish on anyone! I adore my new partner and wouldn't change anything but if truth be known I wished we'd have thought about doing things slightly differently - we had the opportunity to wait but both needed a roof over our head and thought that we were allowed to do that but it seems that as long as you are keeping the roof over the ex-wifes head thats fine - you can go live in a cardboard box and you'd probably still be considered as having your needs met but live with a NP and she becomes involved too!!! Don't! Be patient and get a good nights sleep trust me you are gonna need it without the extra worry of your NP being involved!!

Good Luck!

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 07 #2201 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
What concerns me rather more about your post is that you seem to be implying that you are going to finalise your divorce while there are still financial issues which are left unresolved. As a personal opinion I would advise against this, because it can mean that your x2b could bring a claim against you at a later date and so you have a financial sword of Damocles hanging over your head. Read the postings on ' Financial claims post divorce ' especially the comments by Fiona.

As regards your NP - as I understand it, your wife cannot make a claim against her assets. I thought that a new partner is disregarded for child maintenance, but there is a funny reference on the CSA website to letting them know if your circumstances change, such as moving in with a new partner. I couldn't quite work that out, but it gives you a number you can contact. Your NP cannot be forced to pay spousal maintenance out of her income to your x2b but it can indirectly affect how much you might have to pay.

Without knowing more I can't say whether it might be prejudicial, but I would recommend that you get legal advice
on the possible implications of ending a marriage but leaving the financial issues up in the air.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.