A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Final Hearing Tomorrow

  • themindboggles
  • themindboggles's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
04 Sep 07 #2840 by themindboggles
Topic started by themindboggles
Does anyone now what would happen if one of us at last minute was unable to attend the final hearing??.... I suspect EX might in order to delay!!


  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Sep 07 #2846 by gone1
Reply from gone1
To my mind if you dont attend a court hearing the judge should make the award in your favour if he dont attend. But I dont think this is the case in ancilory relief as no one is on trial unless you are a bloke and you still have your shirt on your back. I would have thought it would be re convined to another date. Chris

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Sep 07 #2852 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11
I think that is the case Chris with all hearings, but i doubt very much they would tolerate it at a FH.

Depends who is the respondant and who is the applicant.

Applicant doesnt turn up? I think its in the power of the Judge to say, case dismissed without prejudice? In other words i think they could dismiss it, but would want to know why they havent turned up> I.E...cudda been involved in an accident on way there ect. But more likey to award all costs to the respondant and adjourn it if they come up with good excuse. It says on our FH order, something about not being allowed to stop it 48 hours before.

Respondant doesnt turn up? I think an order with a penal notice or maybe more likey issue a warrant for their arrest is more likey and an order that he/she pays all costs up to date.

Cant see what else the Judge could do really.


  • themindboggles
  • themindboggles's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
04 Sep 07 #2855 by themindboggles
Reply from themindboggles
Thanks for your replies...... the EX is the respondant so would be foolish to attempt any further time delays.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.