A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

deed of trust

  • ALEXANDER's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Sep 07 #2960 by ALEXANDER
Topic started by ALEXANDER
does anybody know about a deed of trust and how it might be relevant in a financial split.

originally my husband and i wanted to separate , buy 2 properties and live separately, but we have been advised about the issue of capital gains tax.

we can`t afford to pay the inland revenue money unnecessarily so the only avenue seems to be to divorce and buy properties in individual names...that is now causing all sorts of grief re equitable split.

could a deed of trust on each property help to secure rights to each whilst being independent of each other be an option?

i know it might sound odd, but emotions are currently out of control


  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Sep 07 #2965 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I may have got this entirely wrong, but the capital gains tax point typically occurs where a sale of the former marital home is deferred, perhaps for many years, to provide a home for the children. When the property is finally sold,, the gain of the parent with care will be exempt because she lives there, but the displaced parent will often have a share which is not realisable for many years, during which time he ( it usually is a he ! ) will not be living there and cannot use the private residence exemption. So there is a potential liability for capital gains tax on the gain of the non-occupying spouse. I am inclined to think anyone in this situation may be well advised to see an accountant before a Court order is drafted, to make use of any available reliefs.

But surely, unless I have missed some great truth, if you sell the house, there is no CGT liability because of the principal residence exemption provided it is done within three years of the separation ? And if the spouses each buy a house for their own occupation, wouldn't they each be entitled to a private residence exemption ? Or have I missed the point ???


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Sep 07 #2967 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Not sure if this answers your question.

Sometimes on divorce when there aren't sufficent matrimonial assets for both parties to buy their own property one party agrees/is ordered to maintain an interest in the property of the other in the form of a charge (known as a Mesher) Effectively the property is bought by/transferred to one party and a trust is drawn up to protect the interest of the other party and provided this happens within three years of separation and the trust deed is correctly worded there is no CGT liability. There are usually conditions attached such as the house is to be sold when the youngest child reaches 18, the cohabitation, remarriage or death of the PWC.

If there are sufficent assets to invest in each others properties there is no 'need' for a Mesher order and a Clean Break would be preferrable.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.