A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

If his name is still on mortgage....

  • IKNOWNOW's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
07 Sep 07 #2977 by IKNOWNOW
Topic started by IKNOWNOW
I am looking for some clarification. Something mediator said today.... If i trade my share of his pension for his share of the equity in the house but his name remains on the mortgage ( he will pay me child maintenance & probably some spousal maintenance until youngest starts full time education) but in effect I suppose I would physically be paying mortgage from the "income" of benefits & maintenance initially - does that mean that the house is effectively mine? does he have any further claim on the property? Would he still have to pay for life insurance to cover the mortgage if he died? Obviously I would be unable to move from the property until I could raise a large enough mortgage on my own or had sufficient equity or rented (this will not be in the near future)- I wouldn't need to have his permission to sell would I? Hope someone can clarify this issue either from own experience or that they are in the know! Thank you

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Sep 07 #2978 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.