A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

I need to wake up and face the truth

  • JustH
  • JustH's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
08 Sep 07 #3009 by JustH
Topic started by JustH
Have had such support from this forum, thank you all

I think it has taken a while, but have now accepted that he wants a divorce and has no family values and my marriage is over, I have been so nice to him, letting him just come in and spend as much time as he wants in the FMH, but he is so ok and I'm so not. He was a bully in our mariage and that continues.

I have a solicitor and a legal assistance certificate, but just cannot be bothered with my solicitor.She sends needless letters, which I assume I will be charged for, and, because I'm on Legal asiatance, I really feel like she is treating me like a second class citizen, even though there is a lot of money involved.

Can I or should I change? How to find a good ond- already changed once

My hubby is a high earner- 70000 PLUS, bmw etc., but has destroyed me to a point where I don't know what to ask for, I know I am depressed, and suicidal if it were not for my 14 year old daughter

  • IKNOWNOW's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
09 Sep 07 #3019 by IKNOWNOW
Reply from IKNOWNOW
I'll be brief as I typed you a long reply and the site then logged me off so wouldn't post it.

See your GP to get help for your current mental state both for the sake of you and your daughter. Maybe get a referal to a support group or 1-1 counselling.

May I suggest you look into enrolling on an assertiveness course - usually run at local college or similar, this may help you a lot in the coming months.

As for your solicitor - it isn't any good if you don't feel happy with them. Make the most of the initial FREE 1/2 hour most solicitors offer to try to get a feel of a few solicitors - think whether you would prefer a female etc. & ask these questions when you book the appointment. Make the most of the appointment - write down points you want answers to - ask different solicitors different questions so that you get more initial advise. Don't feel pressured into making a choice too soon you need this relationship to work so that they are acting in your best interests - it isn't like selling and buying a house - this is your future. Ask around for personal recommendation although you are slightly limited due to being on Legal Assistance. I am on Legal Assistance & so far my solicitor has been great.

Look forward- don't be a victim. Bullies don't like it when the victim "fights" back.

Finally, remember your daughter is just that - try not to lean on her, find support from other sources.

Ask your solicitor about him accessing the house whenever, if this is having an effect on your daughter your solicitor could ask him to think of her before just popping round - although legally he has every right to come and go as he pleases. My solicitor asked him to refrain from "popping in" and so far it seems to work on the whole.

Any way I have waffled enough. Hope my advise has been some help. Take care - all the best. If you want to private message me for some 1-1 support I would be quite happy to listen. Although I am the applicant I have lived within a controlling marriage so hopefully know a bit about where you are coming from.

Keep your chin up and don't let him think he is still in control.!

  • Shelia
  • Shelia's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
09 Sep 07 #3022 by Shelia
Reply from Shelia
Agree with IFIKNEWTHEN it is important you have a solicitor you are happy with. It is worth having one you are happy with. I am told the CAB can be helpful with this. You have enough about you to know you are not getting proper treatment. If you have a good solicitor he/she would give you your options and the pros and cons of each. From that you can make informed decisions.

A control freak of a husband is a pain. Once he has gone and you start to make your own way I'm sure you will start to become the person you were meant to be, and twice the person that was married to the fat/thin controller! ( thinking of a nasty nickname for him helps even if you just use it in your head).

Hang on in there Juicymoon, the fight back has begun!


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.