A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

An alternative to a 'Separation Agreement'?

  • deve
  • deve's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
09 Sep 07 #3042 by deve
Topic started by deve
Is there an alternative to a 'Separation Agreement'? My husband and I have only recently separated and as yet are not ready to tie ourselves to a full separation agreement.

Although he wishes to divorce straight away, I want to sort out our finances and investments before signing to a divorce. We have drawn up preliminaries and what he has agreed to do for the next 12 months with regards to finances, but can this all be sworn with a signed affidavit or is there an alternative?

We have agreed upon a lump sum payment to cover the household for the next 12 months, but as yet made no plans for maintenance, child support or visitation after this period.

Some advice would be very much appreciated.x

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Sep 07 #3052 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
It is perfectly possible to live apart without having a separation agreement.

At the risk of stating the obvious, madam, it takes two to make an agreement. If your husband wants to divorce now, a separation agreement would be of little use because it would be superseded by the divorce.

There is nothing to stop you from trying to reach agreement between yourselves concerning such matters as children and finance.

If you can agree, it is possible for you to ask the Court, as part of the divorce proceedings, to make an order giving effect to what you have agreed - provided two basic conditions are satisfied, namely that there is a full and complete disclosure of the financial positions of both parties, and that both of you have taken competent legal advice.

If this is done, your divorce should be much less stressful and less expensive than some of the contributors to this website have experienced.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.