A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Signatures on documents

  • deve
  • deve's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Sep 07 #3091 by deve
Topic started by deve
Last week myself and my ex2b agreed upon some financial issues arrising from our breakup...e.g equity, assets, child maintenence. I had myself and him signed a self mocked up document relating to this issues and it was signed and witnessed by my father and his mother. This was really just in preparation for our separtion agreement which won't be decided for a while longer yet.

How would this self certified document stand up if he decides to change his mind....once again!? Today he is saying that he no longer agrees to the terms stated unless I agree to divorce him in the next 6 weeks!

This situation changes from day-to day!

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 07 #3116 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Hi Deve. Its my understanding that agreements made this way can be contested if you have not sought legal advice when you did so. But it does show intent. These sorts of documents are normaly formailsed so that each of you can follow them and a modicum of trust is involed. If he is saying this already then I dont think any volentary agreement will be stuck to.

I was frog marched down to a solicitors to sign a seperation deed. I was left in no doubt what would happen to me if I didnt sign. Her and her BF were present. I have been told that this deed is not worth the paper. I hadent recieved legal advice when I signed it. So I am OK. I hope. Chris.

  • deve
  • deve's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Sep 07 #3137 by deve
Reply from deve
I do see what you are saying, we have agreed a financial settlement and want to get this tied up before proceeding with any divorce proceedings. I suppose what I am asking, is it sufficient to get a solicitors letter or an financial affidavit detailing the settlement that we both hold copies of, as long as the details are comprehensive and state what the settlement involves for both of us?

  • beckster2
  • beckster2's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
11 Sep 07 #3223 by beckster2
Reply from beckster2
my x2b agreed terms, I have him recorded verbally on tape and yet he cannot be held accountable to this or any written agreement because it was not drafted by a solicitor; he was not advised by a solicitor and witnessed by a legal representative (family and friends are biased). I was advised of all of this at my initial appointment with my solicitor!!

Ain't the law an absolute ass!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.