A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How to close a Joint Account

  • Canary
  • Canary's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 Sep 07 #3103 by Canary
Topic started by Canary
With my wife's erratic behaviour I am a bit worried about our joint account. Although I have moved my salary and everything else it has a large overdraft facility (never used). The bank says I can't close the account without her signature, nor can I stop her accessing or varying the overdraft facility without her signature.
How can this be sorted out. I can't believe I can't do anything, but don't want to rack up an expensive overdraft when things get inevitably tighter than she has been used to.

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 07 #3104 by gone1
Reply from gone1
I had to do exactly this. I had a lot of bother I can tell you. In the end I went down to the branch and they did it. This was with Nationwide. They froze the account to start with. Make sure you have everything you need 1st. Then go down and tell them the situation. They take the card and cheque book off you and thats that. Its up to your other half to do the rest. But as long as you have surrenred your card and CB you are OK.

Natwest were another matter entirely. I am not sure if this is closed. I have written letter after letter. But at least I have enough of a paper trail should all go wrong then I will be OK. Good Luck. Chris

  • maz
  • maz's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Sep 07 #3108 by maz
Reply from maz
I had a similar situation. My x2b has a gambling problem and had run up debts so i moved all the bills to my account and asked him to sign to shut the joint account, which he refused to do so i went to the bank (Barclays) and asked them to remove the overdraft facitlity which they have done. Now as no money and no bills go into or leave that account he has no interest in it. the account is still open but is currently dormant as i cant completly close it.

  • Mrs.Bobbitt
  • Mrs.Bobbitt's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Sep 07 #3128 by Mrs.Bobbitt
Reply from Mrs.Bobbitt

I would definitely explain what is happening to the bank.

Have you registered for internet banking?

I believe (not 100% sure) that if you register for this as the first named person on the account, the bank have to write to advise you if the second named person on the account ever applies for internet banking.

At least if you did set up internet banking you would be able to check on a daily basis if inappropriate spending had occurred and then you would be quicker to sorting it out if it did.

Good luck with it

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.