A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How important are over 18''s in arrangements?

  • Martley
  • Martley's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Mar 12 #320599 by Martley
Topic started by Martley
My wife and I (both with incomes) are planning/hoping to come to a mutual agreement for a Consent Order to be drawn up in our divorce. How much weighting should we give two our two children in dividing the worth of the marital home, savings etc (there are no debts)?
One child is 21, the other 18 but both are in full-time degree courses and neither has any income to speak of. One is living in the marital home and the other is away at university (wife and I paying the rent). If they were under 18 there would be some clear guidance, I assume, but dependent over 18s seem to be a grey area in divorce arrangements.

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Mar 12 #320612 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
My experience is that a court wouldnot normally make any orders for the support of childrne who have left full tim secondary education, although different Judges may have different approaches.

I usually suggest taht paretns in theis situation look at agreeing what support they will each provide, but providing it directly to the child, rather than paying maintenance to the other parent.

If you (as a couple) have always paid rent for the child at Uni it is probably reasonable that you continue to do so, although it is worth chacking whether either of them will be eligable for any finacial assistance in light of the changed circumstances.

How much support each of you provides depends on what you can each afford and how your respective positions compare - e.g. if you both have similar incomes, it''s likely to be reasonable for you to pay half each,if you earn more, it would be reasonable to pay unequal contributions.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11