A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House contents - part of family home?

  • Canary
  • Canary's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
13 Sep 07 #3327 by Canary
Reply from Canary
Thanks for the comments.

We don't have a lot of stuff to spare so we are not talking about much I can take.

However the issue of two of things such as TVs well I would like the 27inch I bought for myself (shallow I know) and leave the 14in she bought for herself - but she says the children need to watch something and so they need two tellys cos the kids won't watch her soaps and she wont watch CBBC. I said that I then would need to raid our extremely dwindling accounts to buy another telly but then she says we can't use our joint funds to buy it

Similar with furniture, either I take stuff or will need to buy it, but she needs to settee suite, which she doesn't like but want to keep her favourite chair, which would be sensible for me to take. It seems so petty, but I need to have a few things to help me start up surely.

Unfortunately most things are individually less than £500 which is the value mentioned for declaration on form E so whether get any value out of any contents in any settlement is unlikely I think

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11