A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Negative equity / Claim on new partners earnings

  • spatula
  • spatula's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 Apr 12 #325963 by spatula
Topic started by spatula

My wife and I have just separated after 7 years. We have a 4 year old daughter. I have been having an affair, to which I admitted and then left the family home.

I moved into my mum''s, but haven''t changed our existing financial arrangements at all, i still pay half of the mortagage and all bills. I have my daughter with me for half of the week.

Our house is in negative equity, somewhere in the region of £15k.

My wife would like to leave the house and rent somewhere closer to her work. I have offered to take on the responibility for paying the mortgage, though we are unable to take her name off the mortgage due to the negative equity.

I have told her that the only way I could properly afford the house on my own is that if my new partner eventually moved in. My wife says that she will not let this happen and that if I did try to move my new partner in, she - my wife - would have some claim on my partner''s earnings.

Is this right? I would be paying the mortgage on my own, I would be taking over my wife''s share, can she claim such? I have even said that as soon as the house matches market value I will either sell it, or remortgage to take her name off the deed.

Any thoughts? Many thanks.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Apr 12 #325994 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Your wife is mistaken. A new partner''s income is only relevant in that they should be contributing towards your joint living expenses, thus reducing your costs and leaving you with more disposable income. That may affect the divorce settlement. For example, if spouse maintenance is a factor in your case more disposable income increases your ability to pay.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.