A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Savings Split

  • crimsonlake
  • crimsonlake's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Apr 12 #326158 by crimsonlake
Topic started by crimsonlake
Am trying to reach a financial settlement with ex.He is keen to sort it out between ourselves rather than through courts.Initially I have been dealing with this through solicitor , but despite spending near on 2k am no closer to sorting out settlement .Solicitor has never requested ex fill in form E is that unusual?
He is agreeing to 50/50 split of savings .However he has always had full financial control and I have never known in any detail how much we ever had in savings.We were married 18yrs, I gave up my career for family, I am in my early fifties with no job and very little earning capacity in the future, with two teenage children still at school and a small pension.HE is a high earner with the potential to build up his savings again.He has agreed that I can have equity in property, although this wont be nearly enough to buy a smaller property.If I went through the courts is there any possibility I may get more than 50% of savings? I am worried that he is not fully disclosing all our savings, he has also made some bad financial decisions in the past which have had a big impact on our savings in the past .Any advise much appreciated.

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Apr 12 #326247 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
It depends on the figures but from what you say, it doesn''t sound like a 50:50 case to me. Quite possibly there''ll be maintenance too. And it''s crazy not to get a form E first!

  • crimsonlake
  • crimsonlake's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Apr 12 #326292 by crimsonlake
Reply from crimsonlake
Oh yes there is maintenance too.Recently he has cut this by £600, declaring he thinks I am getting too much .This bear in mind is a figure he has decided upon and nothing has gone through the courts

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
24 Apr 12 #326319 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow

If he has not filled in Form E on a voluntary basis then you may have no choice but to apply to the courts so he will be compelled to do so.

That does not mean you cannot still negotiate and reach a settlement between you -- you should do your best to reach agreement if you can. What it does mean is that if he does not play nicely, it is the judge, not you and your solicitor that he has to answer to.

What you get depends on needs and the means to meet them. If he is a high earner (how high?) he is more able to recover from a financial blow. It could be that you have more of the cash assets now - to house you and the children - perhaps in return for a smaller share of the pension. Without knowing more about the situation it is hard to advise other than very generally.

Incidentally if he is earning a lot and paying you little, you may be able to apply for maintenance pending suit - to keep you going while things are sorted out.

He should be paying at least 20% of net income for two children (with adjustments for overnights spent with him if he is living elsewhere).


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.