A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Financial settlement

  • memories
  • memories's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
01 May 12 #327665 by memories
Topic started by memories
Can someone give me advice on splitting our assets

Both 48 two children ages girl and boy 15 and 7 . Married for 19 years salaries him 48k mine 8k I also receive family tax credit child benefit and child maintenance . So at the present time our net income is similar
approx £2500.Mortgage left 37K valued AT £325K .His pension still live £61K MINE £87

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
01 May 12 #327684 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Hi memories and welcome to wikivorce.

Have a look at this: www.wikivorce.com/divorce/Divorce-Advice...-gets-the-house.html

It explains a bit more about how the financial settlement works. As you will see, it is all about needs - and how they will be met.

Your strict need - as his - is for a three bed property. How much would that cost where you live?

Are you still living in the same property?

How big is it?

Will you at some point be able to earn more? Do you need training/qualifications to do that?

Can I also just clarify the pension values ... his is 61k (assume this is CETV) .. what is yours?


  • memories
  • memories's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 May 12 #328057 by memories
Reply from memories
Thanks for your advice. My pension is 87k CETV.My Ex still contributes to his pension which will grow mine stopped in 2004 when I was made redundant from the bank .The money went into the house paying off some of the mortgage. I cannot downsize as my property is a 3 bed terrace my ex is staying with family but buying a one bed flat with help from family . He has my son one or two nights a week but am trying to come to an arrangement every other weekend . My daughter prefers to stay at home.We are attending mediation but he is refusing to disclose information so not sure if we will have to go down another route.All I want is a home for my family but feel once my son is 18 1 will be forced to sell and not have adequate funds to buy a 2 bedroom property.
I have retrained as a nursery nurse a job which although badly paid fits in with school holidays . I have always worked fitting around my family. I will be 60 when my youngest is 18 what will the future hold?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.