A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice on Husband having his mothers will changed?

  • Pink Flamingo
  • Pink Flamingo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Jun 12 #334984 by Pink Flamingo
Topic started by Pink Flamingo
In the early process of divorce, which he started. My mother in law who i am very close too and was part of my large family for years made a will of her own accord 7 years ago, which I have a copy of, as well as I am sure she gave both of us power of attorney over her affairs, although I never acted on it, and left her house to both of us. She is 90 and was formally diagnosed with dementia around 5 years ago. her long term memory is relatively in tact but short term she cannot remember what she had for breakfast etc. I left because of his adultery several months ago and have just found out that he got a solicitor up to coerce her to change her will leaving everything to him.She does not go out on her own and only to a day centre by transport. I know he has also been spending her money on himself. I wondered if anyone had any views on it???.or advice of what could be done???.

  • NoWhereToTurnl
  • NoWhereToTurnl's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jun 12 #334995 by NoWhereToTurnl
Reply from NoWhereToTurnl
Does he have Power of attorney? If not, he should not be able to engage a solicitor to change the will. If it is his mothers solicitor who has done this and he has PoA then its a serious matter. If you have joint PoA then you should have been involved in the process.
Make sure your copy of the will is safe and contact the firm of solicitors who dealt with it. I would insist on speaking to the senior partner.

  • pixy
  • pixy's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jun 12 #334999 by pixy
Reply from pixy
There are two issues here.

First: is she competent to make a will? When I was trying to sort out a power of attorney in a similar situation the gp refused to declare the person competent. Has a doctor been involved?

Second and more importantly you are simply talking about a potential inheritance. A demented 90 year old may last several more years and the potential inheritance could be swallowed up in care fees. I don''t think it is going to be considered by a judge.

  • Pink Flamingo
  • Pink Flamingo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Jun 12 #335043 by Pink Flamingo
Reply from Pink Flamingo

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.