A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Definition of fraud and theft

  • mickyB
  • mickyB's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
12 Jun 12 #336353 by mickyB
Topic started by mickyB
I separated from my wife in 2006. Dovorced in 2007 and the financial matters finally decided in 2009. I was left with a bungalow which was in joint names. The offset mortgage was tied to a current account in joint names. In 2009 I was made redundant and took 2 years before I got a low paid job for an agency. I have now returned to my full time occupation. During the last 4 years we have been going through a bitter custody battle which has taken its financial toll.
Due to my financial position the bank would not let me change the accounts to my sole name. Last week after 7 years my ex wife entered the account using her married name and emptied the account leaving me with no money for food, fuel etc.
I have been told it is theft and fraud but the bank refuses to accept this. What can I do?

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Jun 12 #336360 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Theft is dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permenantely depriving them of it.

Fraud doesn''t require proof of intention to permenantely deprive.

Unfortunately as it is a joint account any money in it belongs to her as much as it does to you. She has the right to use the account. If she has changed her name she can let the bank know this.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11