A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice on property..

  • Fedup11
  • Fedup11's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Jun 12 #337121 by Fedup11
Topic started by Fedup11
Hi all, I''m really worried..I''ve had 8 years of sheer hell and finally putting my boots on and walking. We live in my flat..my husband has contributed a monthly sum for a few years..he went thorough 6 years of paying nothing. He has another propert , a flat that he rents out..both our properties are in our own names. We have no kids and no other finances..please help..does anyone know how I stand?
Thanks very much in advance..

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Jun 12 #337150 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I''m not entirely clear what you''re getting at here !

Your refer to your husband, from which I assume that you are married.

If this is so, then he has what are known as matrimonial home rights , which give him the right to live there even if it is in your sole name.

So then, you can''t get shut of him, unless you can get what is known as an occupation order, which implies that he has behaved unreasonably in some way. This type of order is not granted lightly these days ( in the bad old days it used to be ; they were called ouster orders and granted pretty routinely ).

You say you have been going through hell, but I''m afraid your options are, you either divorce him, in which case the likelihood is that if he has a house of his own, you will keep yours and he will keep his.

The other is to investigate the possibility of an occupation order and for this you need legal advice.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.