A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

older children

  • yellowrose
  • yellowrose's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Jul 12 #340284 by yellowrose
Topic started by yellowrose
Don''t know if anyone can answer this but my eldest has returned from uni as I''m sure lots of other people''s children have done or will do in the future. As I understand it the latest figures suggest that children are on average likely to be in their 30''s before they leave home.

Getting work is not that easy so no chance of him leaving any time soon. Legally I don''t think it counts that he needs a roof over his head but morally it does and anyway he''s my son so as far as I''m concerned he will always need a bed even if it''s so he can bring his own family to stay.

My question is does the current economic climate affect any judicial decision in relation to ''older'' children who are not normally classed as dependants?

  • sillywoman
  • sillywoman's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
01 Jul 12 #340285 by sillywoman
Reply from sillywoman
One of my daughters has just finished university and is working and living at home. She is not working in her chosen field, but is working and is now paying me £50 per week towards her keep.

Would be great if her dad contributed, but I wont even go there because I really do not want the hassle.

As regards children living at their parents'' homes until their 30s, yes I can see this is true, but I am afraid I am going to be a bit "hard" - once my youngest leaves to go off to uni in two years time, I have decided to sell up and get something much smaller and my children I am afraid will have to stand on their own two feet.

  • julie321
  • julie321's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Jul 12 #340288 by julie321
Reply from julie321
I would like to know the answer to this also. My youngest daughter leaves for uni in Oct and my son has finished and secured a job at the other end of the country.

I would like to know why because of a divorce and being on my own my need is only for a one bedroomed home, this means I can never have either of my children to stay. Semms a bit harsh to me and completely unreasonable.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Jul 12 #340293 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Tell me about, our 28 year old finally left home last September and 25 year old is just back for the summer from uni. In England & Wales although children under 18 are the priority children over 18 studying for a first degree with perhaps a gap year before or after uni aren''t irrelevant when it comes to settling the finances on divorce. Beyond that they are deemed independent.

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Jul 12 #340299 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Both of my sons still live in the FMH, in fact I have been luckly enough to move out and leave them to it!!

Their father stopped paying anything for them or to them when they turned 18 and I am still subsiding them now!!

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Jul 12 #340312 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
At my FDR the judge remarked that these days children are ''still on the payroll'' for some time after age 18. I think you could argue that they will still need to be housed through university. Beyond that I don''t think you would get far, though of course the Government''s current ''thinking aloud'' about expecting all under-25s not in employment to live with their parents may possibly drive a coach and horses through current practice - if they don''t realise how completely impractical it is before they try to enact it.

best wishes,

  • sillywoman
  • sillywoman's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
01 Jul 12 #340353 by sillywoman
Reply from sillywoman
As I will have no choice but to sell my house when my youngest leaves home for university as I will not be getting tax credits for her, child maintenance or child benefit, there is no a chance that any of my children will be able to live with me for ever.

Thank God!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.