A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Legal Aid eligibility

  • awaters
  • awaters's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 Jul 12 #341381 by awaters
Topic started by awaters

I left the matrimonial home in 2009 and divorced my ex in 2011. I left with nothing after 12 years of marriage with no children involved. I have tried everything short of going to court to get an agreed settlement from the ex to no avail. We had /have a property worth 380000 and a joint mortgage of 180000. I ran a B&B from the property previously and carried out all of the grounds maintenance and operation of the house and now clean for a living just to MEM. I earn around £1000 a month and my rent is £400. I have tried and been turned down for legal aid because my capital is too much. It isn''t accessible though and I have no other real means of paying to take the ex to court. Can anyone tell me if the LSC have gotten my Legal Aid claim wrong? If so, how can I go about making sure they understand my actual situation. My ex is now co-habiting in my former home that I still have an interest in as joint owner (I do not pay the mortgage) and living the life of riley whilst I struggle. I want the court to decide on a fair settlement given that there is a large amount of equity in the house plus there were other assets that he has subsequently sold and kept the money. I''m at the end of my tether. Please help..

  • redwine47
  • redwine47's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Jul 12 #341391 by redwine47
Reply from redwine47
Hi I was turned down for legal aid whilst on a part time 6 month temporary contract earning 600 per month. I''m now unemployed & am receiving legal aid but having to pay 180 per month contributions even though I have no income...? So don''t be too surprised you were turned down.

I will also most likely have to pay back the statutory charge out of any settlement at the end of my case could be thousands.

Someone else may be able to give advice perhaps representing yourself.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.