A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

capital gains tax

  • eilidh
  • eilidh's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
08 Jul 12 #341990 by eilidh
Topic started by eilidh
My now ex husband and I were joint owners of a flat/ He signed this over to me last year at our divorce. My solicitor said that my ex would have to pay the capital gains tax on the flat.We never lived in it but bought it in 2000 and rented it out.
I would now like to sell the flat. Will I have to pay capital gains on it when I sell it?Or will it be a proportion? I on''t really understand it.

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Jul 12 #342051 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos

This may help although I am not sure if Scottish laws are different?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Jul 12 #342053 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
As I understand it your ex-husband should have paid capital gains on his share of the property when it was transferred to you. That means you would be liable to pay your share until the property was transferred and tax on any capital gain accrued since then. There is no CGT to pay for the last three years of ownership.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.