A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

maintenance payable to husband?

  • johnwilliam
  • johnwilliam's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Sep 07 #3465 by johnwilliam
Topic started by johnwilliam
I know this is unusual, but I'd like to know if there are any more men out there who are claiming/have claimed maintenance from their ex-wife? after a 20 year marriage she is left with the house and a high income, and I've just lost my job and can't even pay the rent. I've read that maintenance is based on needs - surely, the needs of either party (?) but my solicitor isn't too hopeful as I don't wear a skirt!! Sorry ladies, but it isn't only you who sometimes get left destitute.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Sep 07 #3468 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
There is no reason in principle why a wife could not be ordered to pay spousal maintenance to her husband. However, is it reasonable for you to get a job and is your current unemployment just a temporary blip ? This could be what your solicitor has in mind. I would certainly advise you to claim jobseekers allowance, housing/council tax benefit, if you have not already done so.

Good luck

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11